Friday, September 5, 2014

Passion Ignited - My First Big Fish

Hi Fishing Friends

I thought that I'd tell you a story about a little carrot top boy who began his love of fishing.

When I was about 4 yrs old my family & I went fishing in this pond near our home, it was really an old clay pit , but I didn't care, I just knew we were going fishing, oh boy was I excited,couldn't wait to get there.

"Are we there yet" I asked, Mom told me "almost son, settle down now". We get to the old fishing hole, Zoom, there I go, "I'm ready to fish" I told my Dad, as he was getting the gear from our car.

Finally everyone is set-up, poles in hand, lines in the water, bobbers set to depth, I wait for a bite, & wait, ya all know 4yr olds, ain't built to wait. So I prop my pole up on a  Y shaped stick & start playing with the baby frogs hopping around.

Of course I'm not paying my bobber any attention, lots of frogs to chase, Mom hollers "Jon you got a bite", I run to my pole, grab it up, yank back, and start cranking the reel.

The line is not coming in, I can't see my bobber. So... I clamp my hand tight on my rod, turn tail, & run up the bank.

First thing I thought of & you know what, it worked, cause soon that great BIG fish was flopping on the bank.

Mom hollers out "Jon you can stop now" I turned around, saw that fish & couldn't believe my eyes, it looked like a Whale.

Really folks it was a large mouth bass, near to 5lbs according to my family. I don't recall that part, I just remember it was a BIG fish.

And that is when my love for fishing began, in an old pond.
                                                                                               Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment