Saturday, September 6, 2014

Ponds - What I mean

Hello All,
      
Today I want to start by telling what I mean by "Ponds".
It's a pretty generic term really, so let's clear the waters, so to speak.

This includes, small to large farm ponds, lakes, to lets say 50 acres, all pits such as, clay pits, coal mine pits, rock quarry pits, for a few examples.

Pits are my personal favorites, due to their depth and ability to hold an abundance of  large & diverse fish, most are also harder to access so that fishing pressure usually isn't a factor in catching larger fish.

In addition along large rivers you will find 'scour holes' from flood years that are really interesting because of the size & diversity of the fish there.

Many a trip to these 'scour holes' or  'blue holes' as some folks call them, have netted me 18" Crappie, large Flathead Catfish, and even Spoonbill in the 50 lb range. I know, sounds unbelievable, but still it's true.

I've personally fished these river 'scour holes' for over 20 years now, having many incredible 'catching' trips.

In fact one of my most memorable fishing trips was...(see "Throwback Thursday")

That story is for another time, sorry about that I almost got sidetracked with that Awesome Memory.

River 'scour holes' to me are in a class all by themselves, not ponds, not pits, or lakes either, just some great fishing nonetheless.

One more thing before I wrap this up, any body of water that is less than about 5 ft deep usually isn't worth wetting a line in, yes there are some exceptions, such as spring fed waters, but in dry years fish quickly die without depth to the water.

Thanks for checking out my fun little project here at the "Pond Fishing Club" I have some really cool stuff coming for you all in the near future, Please help me get better by leaving a comment, if you would be so kind.

I promise I'll respond to you as soon as possible, have a Great Day & Happy Fishing.
                                                                       Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment